Monday, June 4, 2012

About how often will I be mugged / shanked when I travel to Washington DC

How often will I be mugged / shanked when I travel to Washington DC?
I am a guy traveling there for a week in March. I keep hearing that it isn't safe on the streets after dark, etc. Am I going to get shanked? How can I avoid getting shanked?
Washington, D.C. - 8 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Depends on where you walk in D.C. Stay out of the sketchy places, and don't look too flashy.
Answer 2 :
Security is always a priority during travel. but there's no need to be too nervy. Normal precautions include "Secure your purse or wallet, stay in well-lit areas, don't walk around in less-traveled areas late at night. In addition, some neighborhoods are not safe for travel by any method after dark. Generally, any place a tourist would be interested in seeing, is in a safe neighborhood. Those areas are typically safe at night, though visitors to Capitol Hill and Downtown should be cautious after hours. " and here are some tips and warnings from previous travelers: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Washington_DC/Warnings_or_Dangers-Washington_DC-MISC-BR-1.html be fully prepared and i hope you enjoy your days in dc :)
Answer 3 :
I've lived in the Adams Morgan neighborhood for almost 12 years and I have yet to have a problem. Granted, I don't walk the streets late at night if I can help it, and I keep aware of my surroundings. Do that, and you should avoid becoming a statistic.
Answer 4 :
If you stick to the normal tourist areas, the chance of something bad happening to you is essentially zero. To get into trouble, you'd have to do something really dumb, such as hang out in a ghetto area at night, or try to buy illegal drugs. Most DC crime is related to drugs.
Answer 5 :
ADDED INFO: FROM A DC COP: The shanking of tourists is very rare during muggings. A 9mm semi-automatic pistol is the usual weapon of choice. "How often will I be mugged / shanked...?" Common sense tells me no more than one time. Just curious tho----after the first time, would you go back out on the DC streets or would you go home? Your answer could cause me to change mine.
Answer 6 :
I would assume an average of one mugging per day. That may sound like a lot but remember it's an average so there will be some days when you are not mugged at all - maybe even a couple of days in a row where you're not mugged - but then some days you can expect to get mugged three time or so. Shankings are more rare. I'd say I've been shanked, on average, about once a fortnight since I moved to D.C. 6 years ago. Fortunately the excellent dining options D.C. has to offer more than makes up for the constant muggings and shankings. If only I had time to enjoy them between recovering from shankings and, you know, if I didn't have my credit cards taken all the time.
Answer 7 :
FACT: It is more dangerous to drive on an interstate highway than to walk down the sidewalk in any urban neighborhood in the United States. If you got in your car right now and drove to the worst ghetto in any city in the country, then spent the entire day there, the most dangerous part of your trip would be the driving. You are almost certainly not going to be mugged unless you try to sell drugs to gang members at 3:00 am. You should worry more about being struck by lightening. If you stick to normal activities in normal places, you will be fine.
Answer 8 :
LOL if you stay out of the bad part, you're fine. I love walking around the monuments in the evening, the lights are very pretty and there are some good restaurants, especially in Georgetown. Don't worry, a shanking is not in your future. xD

Read more other entries :